Due to the recent announcement by our Chief Public Health office and the rise in COVID cases on PEI, Special Olympics PEI has made the decision to extend the suspension of all in-person SOPEI sanctioned events, including weekly programs and fundraising events, through to January 28, 2022. We will re-evaluate the situation at that time and provide a further update on January 28, 2022.
We share in the disappointment of having to pause our in-person activities at this time, but we are reminded of how fortunate we have been to live, work and play on PEI through-out the pandemic.
Although in-person activities will not be taking place at this time, we encourage everyone to participate and engage in our ongoing virtual at-home opportunities to stay active and healthy:
- Facebook Membership Group - Look for activity ideas for you to do from the safety of your home while connecting virtually with your friends and coaches! Join our Facebook Membership Group
- Wellness Champions Program – Starting January 10 follow along on our Facebook Group to join our 12-week Wellness Champion program virtually. Join your fellow SOPEI athletes and together you work towards becoming a Wellness Champion! You will follow our activity ideas in four pillars of wellness. The activities can be customized, personal and fun for every participant to enjoy. Gather all the required points in each pillar to receive a medal and keep working hard to receive all 5 medal pieces that fit together like a puzzle.
Continue to do your part to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by:
- Maintain a safe distance from others (at least 6ft), even if they do not appear to be sick.
- Wear a well fitted, 3ply mask in public, especially indoors or when physical distancing is not possible.
- Choose open, well-ventilated spaces over closed ones. Open a window if indoors.
- Clean your hands often. Use soap and water, or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Get vaccinated or your booster when it is your turn.
- Cover your nose and mouth with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
Please do not hesitate to contact myself or any staff team member with any questions, and/or ideas for how we can best support our SOPEI community. I can be reached directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 1-902-628-3450.Thank you.
Executive Director, Special Olympics PEI
*A reminder that our office is closed to the public at this time with many team members working from home. Please email or call to connect with us.*