SONL Thrift Store Manager
Special Olympics Newfoundland & Labrador (SONL) is seeking a Store Manager for our newly opened Thrift Store located at 1154 Topsail Road, Mount Pearl. We are seeking an energetic, dynamic individual with an interest in thrifting to manage the day-to-day operation of the Thrift Store.
The Thrift Store manager will be responsible for the day-to-day operational management of the
Thrift Store. Duties to include staff and volunteer recruitment, supervision, customer care, financial oversight, cash handling procedures, donation processing, social media, and visual merchandising.
Operations and Store Management
- Update and implement written procedures for store operations, including opening, and closing the store; procedures for accepting, sorting, pricing donations; security procedures for staff and volunteers, handling of cash, and other relevant procedures as needed.
- Oversee the processing of donated items; manage the rotation of items and the disposal of donated items in a timely fashion. Processes include sorting, hanging, tagging, steaming, displaying, and disposing of donated items.
- Contribute to the development of annual revenue projections to meet financial goals.
- Ensure that all sales transactions (cash, checks, credit cards) are handled properly and inline with SONL’s cash handling procedures and credit card compliance standards
- Provide ongoing financial reporting to the Executive Director regarding sales progress
- Oversee backdoor issues such as donations that were left and the upkeep of the dumpster.
- Conduct daily safety inspections by walking the store before opening to make sure floors are free of potential hazards. Ensure restrooms are in working order and isles are clear.
- Support volunteers and staff on the sales floor with customer conflicts, pricing issues, etc.
- Supervise staff and volunteers; monitor work performance and provide ongoing feedback to improve productivity and employee job satisfaction.
- Provide leadership to staff and volunteers, setting operational performance standards and offering training.
- Coordinate and participate in the hiring, and supervision of staff.
- Develop schedules for paid staff and volunteers to ensure appropriate levels of staff and volunteer coverage.
- Provide timely direction and written and verbal feedback to staff.
Marketing & Promotion
- Develop and implement marketing campaigns for the store that will directly influence sales, donations, and volunteer morale. This includes social media and the store website.
- Implement daily, weekly, and monthly store promotions with assistance from volunteers.
Wage $16.00 plus 4% vacation pay.
Hours of Work:
Tuesday – Saturday 9am to 3pm.
How to Apply:
If you or someone you know is interested in applying to this opportunity, please submit your resume via email in MS Word or PDF format to
Executive Director, Trish Williams firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Friday, June 24, 2022
Please note the successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal background and vulnerable sector check.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.