Special Olympics Canada and Special Olympics NL recognize our responsibility to prioritize creating a safe sport environment free of abuse, harassment or discrimination for all participants, including athletes, coaches, volunteers, officials, and administrators. As part of our commitment, we are offering a virtual session on Safe Sport. The format of this session will be a brief overview of Safe Sport, an overview of the survey responses submitted followed by breakout discussions and a large group discussion.
WHEN: Saturday, October 16th, 2021 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
WHERE: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYude-grDwpG90_sTz0ue4lqtHkpCcjxGj5 (must register in advance to participate)
WHO: Open to all SONL Coaches and Volunteers
We ask that anyone attending this Safe Sport session complete the following steps by Wednesday, October 13th, 2021.
1. Select the Safe Sport Training that best suits your role with SONL
2. Complete the Safe Sport training module
3. Complete the Safe Sport Pre-Session Survey https://forms.office.com/r/v6FTw9aTJx
Safe Sport Training
Released in April 2020, this free online training on harassment and abuse is for everyone involved in sport: decision-makers, those with direct athlete contact (including caregivers), and those with no direct athlete contact. Certified coaches are also eligible for Professional Development points toward the maintenance of their certification.
This course will help you:
- Understand that everyone has a role to play in keeping sport safe, how the misuse of power leads to maltreatment and the principles of the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Understand the various types of maltreatment, the conditions that enable them, and how to recognize signs that they may be happening.
- Know what to do if you suspect maltreatment, and how you can create a culture that protects all participants.
STEP 1: Please select the course that best suits your role with Special Olympics NL using the chart below
Note: If you hold multiple roles with Special Olympics NL and have any contact with athletes in one of those roles, please complete the Safe Sport training module Direct Athlete Contact.
STEP 2: Complete the course you have selected by following the steps below
Go to https://thelocker.coach.ca/ under the eLearning tab. You will need an NCCP number to access but this can be created at no cost. If you have an NCCP number and need your password, please contact our Program Director
A step by step example is below:
- Complete Login with your NCCP# or email and password.
- Find the “E-Learning” section from the list of Profile Tabs.
- Select “Safe Sport Training” from the list on the left-hand side
- Select the Role(s) for which you hold in sport. Your selection should automatically trigger the appropriate version of the training.
STEP 3: COMPLETE SAFE SPORT PRE-SESSION SURVEY
SURVEY HERE: https://forms.office.com/r/v6FTw9aTJx