Tourism Calgary is thrilled to have secured the Special Olympics Canada Winter Games Calgary 2024 (SOCWG Calgary 2024) for the city from February 27 to March 2, 2024. The Games Organizing Committee (GOC) is in the process of recruiting volunteers to support the planning and execution. Co-Chairs, Cheryl Bernard (Olympian, and President and CEO, Canada's Sports Hall of Fame) and François Poirier (President and CEO, TC Energy), along with General Manager, Karen Dommett, Tourism Calgary, Special Olympics Alberta and Special Olympics Canada make up the GOC Executive Team, who are seeking an Athlete Representative to support the continued momentum of the event.
The Athlete Representative will play a crucial role in advising the GOC Executive Team on decisions that will have an impact on the athlete experience.
POSITION TYPE: Volunteer
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
TERM: March 2023 – April 2024
GOC EXECUTIVE TERMS OF REFERENCE:
Comprised of: Co-Chairs, Tourism Calgary, Special Olympics Canada, Special Olympics Alberta, Athlete Representative & General Manager
Meeting Frequency: Monthly (1 hour virtually), date/time varies to accommodate schedules of members. Potential for frequency to increase closer to Games-time
- Approve business plan, Games scope, and operating budget
- Decision making/approval of anything outside of the business plan scope or changes to the approved budget
- Ensure alignment with Tourism Calgary, Special Olympics Canada, and Special Olympics Alberta standards and processes
- External key contributor management (if needed)
- Crisis management
- Public/media spokesperson(s)
- General Manager reports to GOC Executive Team
ATHLETE REPRESENTATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work collaboratively with the GOC to deliver a first-class special event for hundreds of athletes, volunteers, officials, spectators, and guests.
- Provide insight on a Special Olympics Athlete experience to the Games committee at regularly scheduled meetings leading up to the games.
- Be a liaison with the Special Olympics Alberta Athlete Input Council to gain perspective from athletes around the province.
- Act as a community ambassador for Tourism Calgary hosting the Special Olympics Canada Winter Games Calgary 2024, and profiling key contributors of the Games.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Outgoing personality suitable for public speaking and on-camera work.
- Good at storytelling regarding an athlete’s experience with the Special Olympics.
- A strong sense of professionalism suitable for working and meeting with numerous stakeholders such as community groups, sponsors, volunteers, elected officials, and more.
- Passionate about sport, recreation, and culture, and proud of being a Special Olympic athlete.
- Good at engaging people through various media platforms and in person.
Must have experience as a current or former Special Olympics athlete in Calgary with experience competing at a local, provincial, national, or world level.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by Monday, March 20, 2023 to:
Special Olympics Canada Winter Games Calgary 2024
Please note only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
As the host of the Special Olympics Canada Winter Games Calgary 2024, Tourism Calgary values diversity of expertise, talent and opinion which creates an innovative and collaborative environment. We are committed to a respectful and inclusive workplace and welcome applications from all qualified individuals.