Special Olympics has a four-year competition cycle for summer and winter sports, giving athletes the chance to compete regionally, provincially, nationally, and internationally. Special Olympics Alberta Locals and Provincial Office also host competitions throughout the year across the province.
View the competitions calendar here to see upcoming events and qualifiers.
PROVINCIAL GAMES ELIGIBILITY
The provincial games are an exciting opportunity for all athletes. In order to be eligible to compete at Provincial Games, athletes must be a registered member with their local club and be in good standing with Special Olympics Alberta.
Athletes will register for provincial games through their local Special Olympics program. Although some athletes compete and train in many sports, they will only be permitted to register in one sport for Provincial Games. It will be up to the athlete and their affiliate to determine which sport they will wish to compete in.
For an athlete to be eligible for provincial games they must meet the following criteria:
- Be ten (10) years of age as of the first day of the competition;
- Is registered with Special Olympics Alberta and a member in good standing within the community;
- Is a member of an accredited Special Olympics Alberta Affiliate or Community Program;
Have appropriate maturation based upon the following:
- Ability to cope with pressures involved in traveling and competition
- Ability to cope with being out of usual environment
- Have competed in a qualifying competition preceding the Provincial Championships/Games in that particular sport; and
- Have actively participated in a Special Olympics Alberta program, in that sport, for one (1) full program year prior to Provincial Games.
Athlete Single Sport Competition
Athletes can only be selected for one sport with Team Alberta because all sports will be part of a single National Summer Games. It is a specific issue in instances where athletes would compete in a team sport and another sport. If they choose their second sport over their team for Team Alberta selection then the entire team is in jeopardy. We have a max number of replacements that we can make to a team when going to National Games so if multiple members chose their second sport that entire team would be disqualified from Provincial Team selection.