Athlete: Emma Bittorf
From: Strathmore, Alberta
Rock The Rink performance: October 19 at Canalta Centre in Medicine Hat, AlTA.
1. How long have you been figure skating?
I have been skating for seven years.
2. How long have you been involved with Special Olympics?
I have been involved with Special Olympics for seven years.
3. What other sports do you play?
The other sports I play are golfing, basketball, skiing and swimming.
4. What is the biggest figure skating competition/performance you’ve done to date?
The biggest competitions done to date would be when I competed in Provincials in Grande Prairie in 2015 and last year in Calgary.
5. What was your reaction when you found out you’d be performing at Rock the Rink?
I was super excited and happy to be skating with such amazing skaters.
6. How are you preparing for this performance?
I am practicing three days a week with the Strathmore Skate Club.
7. Who is your favourite figure skater(s)?
My favorite figure skater is Tessa Virtue.
8. What do you love about skating?
I love performing in front of people and doing my waltz jump.
9. Tell me about the routine you’ll be performing at Rock the Rink?
Well, I don’t want to spoil it!
10. What do you like about Special Olympics? How has it changed your life?
I like meeting friends who like me for me. I feel like my life changed by being able to be myself and feel accepted and meeting people who are just like me.
11. What would you like to say to Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir for inviting you to perform alongside them?
I would like to say thank-you for inviting me and it means a lot to me.
12. After Rock the Rink, what’s next?
I am going to be performing at the Special Olympics Canada Winter Games in Thunder Bay for Team Alberta in February. The next big goal is to do my best at Nationals and hopefully make Special Olympics Team Canada 2021.