Special Olympics Canada (SOC) is very excited to present our National Games Bid Guidelines for the Special Olympics Canada Summer Games 2022. The Games offer participants, volunteers and spectators an opportunity to experience the excitement of the Games, while leaving behind an important legacy of community pride and sport tourism development. Since 1974, the Games have brought some of the best athletes in the country together from each of our 12 Provincial/Territorial Chapters to reach for their dreams and pursue excellence in sport.
CRITICAL DATES FOR THE NATIONAL GAMES BID PROCESS
- Letter of Interest – April 19th, 2019
- Bidders Conference Call – Week of April 29th, 2019
- Bid Submission – June 14th, 2019
- Site Visits – Week of June 24th, 2019
- Recommendation and Announcement of Host – Week of July 15th, 2019
OBJECTIVES OF THE NATIONAL GAMES
- Provide the country’s athletes with an intellectual disability a competitive opportunity and a venue to pursue excellence and qualify for World Games
- Provide athletes with a venue to participate in a healthy, active lifestyle through friendly competition
- Provide an athlete centered environment that promotes competition and fair play
- Host competitive opportunities that allow citizens to see our country’s athletes perform
- Establish a community legacy for volunteer capacity for future event hosting
- Establish a community legacy for sport development for people with intellectual disabilities
- Provide an opportunity for communities across Canada to showcase Special Olympics athletes as well as their community’s infrastructure and hosting abilities.