As part of the Special Olympics Games cycle, Special Olympics BC Locals and Regions around the province host Regional Qualifiers, where athletes compete for the chance to advance to the next Provincial Games.
In 2022, winter-sport Regional Qualifiers were hosted around the province, for athletes trying to qualify for the 2023 Special Olympics BC Winter Games! All events followed SOBC's strong Return to Sport safety protocols.
Qualifier dates and details:
- Region 8: March 5, Dawson Creek
- Region 4: March 10, Richmond
- Region 3: March 20, Abbotsford
- Region 6: March 27, Nanaimo
- Region 2: April 3, Kamloops
- Region 1: April 2, Trail
- Region 5: May 13, Vancouver
Cross country skiing & snowshoeing
- Region 6: February 25-26, Campbell River
- Region 4: March 5, Delta
- Region 2: March 19, Kamloops
- Regions 3 and 5: March 26, Langley
- Regions 7 & 8: April 2-3, Prince George
- March 5: BC/YK Section STARSkate Competition (Kelowna)
- March 12: 2022 BC/YK Section Special Olympics Competition at the BC/YK Section Synchronized Skating Competition (Surrey)
- March 18 to 20: 2022 Vancouver Island FunSkate Competition (Victoria)
- Region 6: March 13, Comox Valley
- Regions 4 and 5: March 19, Richmond
- Regions 1, 2, 7, & 8: April 9, Kamloops
- Region 3: April 10, Abbotsford
When do we find out who qualified for the 2023 SOBC Winter Games?
This year's Regional Qualifiers ended on May 13. Once all the qualifiers wrapped up, for all Regions, the number of spots given to each Regional team were calculated. These numbers are based on the participation in the Regional Qualifiers.
Each Regional team will soon begin their selection and endorsement process.
Get excited for team announcements later in 2022!
This process is the same as in years past.
For more information, please contact:
-Athlete Danny Tress
-Coach Fern Russell