This volunteer is an asset to the Local Committee or sub-committee and is always willing to take on a leadership role to ensure that the athletes and volunteers have the best experience possible. This volunteer donates countless hours and always has the best interest of Special Olympics BC in the forefront.
2018 President’s Award recipient: Dorothy Franson
Special Olympics BC – Chilliwack Program Coordinator Dorothy Franson works hard to provide athletes with the best possible opportunities. A dedicated and supportive volunteer, she has played a pivotal role in the success of her Local, and is the winner of SOBC’s 2018 President’s Award.
“Dorothy is constantly encouraging athletes in all sports to reach their full potential,” her nominators wrote.
An SOBC – Chilliwack volunteer of more than 15 years, Franson is always ready to step up and support Special Olympics athletes. In addition to her current position as Program Coordinator, she has served on SOBC – Chilliwack’s Local Committee as Co-Local Coordinator and Treasurer. She has also played an important role in training new Local Committee volunteers during periods of transition.
Dorothy is dedicated to providing athletes with opportunities to participate in sports. When she noticed that several athletes were interested in bocce, she took it upon herself to start up a program. She was also a driving force in setting up a Club Fit program in SOBC – Chilliwack, which has helped athletes improve their fitness levels. She is currently the Head Coach of SOBC – Chilliwack’s bocce program and helps coach the Local’s Club Fit program.
Dorothy seeks out new training techniques to help athletes reach their potential, and she makes sure coaches receive the training they need to be successful. She consistently provides coaches, athletes, and Local Committee members with encouragement and support.
Thank you, Dorothy, for your dedication, enthusiasm, and hard work!
Sincere congratulations to all of the 2018 President’s Award nominees:
- Jo Buck, SOBC – Terrace
- Shannon Dempster, SOBC – Victoria
- Brian Hansen, SOBC – Delta
- Karen Hart, SOBC – Surrey
- Sheila Hawton, SOBC – Trail
- Beverly Inglis, SOBC – Elk Valley
- Sally Masters, SOBC – Kimberley/Cranbrook
- Lisa McPhedrian, SOBC – Richmond
- Dale Redford, SOBC – Grand Forks
- Rick Stanley, SOBC – Nanaimo
Past President's Award recipients:
- Joan Gerhardt, SOBC – Kelowna (2017)
- Michael Maveety, SOBC – Kamloops (2016)
- Margot Tubman, SOBC – Victoria (2015)
- Helen Gaulin, SOBC – Fort St. John (2014)
- Karen Theriault, SOBC – Surrey (2013)
- Barb Tull, Region 4 Coordinator (2012)
- Sheila Hogan, SOBC – Coquitlam (2011)
- Patty Wheeldon, SOBC – Langley (2010)
- Marlene Davison, SOBC – Surrey (2009)
- Maureen Brinson, SOBC – Campbell River (2008)
- Thom Ross, SOBC – Prince George (2007)
- Debra Colvin, SOBC – Burnaby (2006)
- Edna McCreight, SOBC – Port Alberni (2005)
- Jennifer Benjamin, SOBC – Surrey (2004)
- Dale Hanna, SOBC – Quesnel (2003)
- May Wilson, SOBC – Vernon (2002)
- Shaheen Khatami, SOBC – Richmond (2001)
- Neville Askew, SOBC – Cowichan Valley (2000)
- Darlene Kramp, SOBC – Courtenay/Comox (1999)
- Jo Osborne, SOBC – Victoria (1998)
- Joan Cox, SOBC – Terrace (1997)
- Pam Sywulych, SOBC – Vancouver (1996)
- Betty Timm, SOBC – Vernon (1995)
- Yvon Savoie, SOBC – Courtenay/Comox (1994)
- Cherald Tutt, SOBC – Kelowna (1993)
- Flo-Elle Watson, SOBC – Victoria (1992)
- Anne McCabe, SOBC – North Vancouver (1991)
- Edie Burdett, SOBC – Vancouver (1990)