Special Olympics BC's empowering year-round programs and competitions would not exist today – and could not have been created – without the time, energy, commitment, and enthusiasm of people just like you, thousands of volunteers who choose to take a little time from busy schedules to make the world a better place. More than 4,300 Special Olympics BC volunteers and coaches across the province make our year-round programs possible and make a difference.
Who can volunteer?
You don’t need a sport background to volunteer with SOBC. All you need is enthusiasm for helping empower people with intellectual disabilities through year-round sport, youth, and health programs and events.
Why volunteer with Special Olympics BC?
There are many reasons to get involved, and many benefits, including:
- Building friendships and networking connections
- Developing new skills for personal and professional development
- Gaining volunteer hours for school programs
- Getting involved with your community
- Sharing your love of sport
- And, most of all, experiencing the joy of working with our athletes!
What volunteer opportunities are available?
Whether you can give a few hours at an event or want to get involved weekly in our year-round programs, we have a position for you. You can become a coach, assistant coach, or program volunteer, join a Local Committee, and/or volunteer at an event.
You can make a difference with your time and talents in a wide range of roles, including:
- Coaching and supporting our year-round sport programs
- Serving on a vital local organizing committee
- Supporting Athlete Leadership programs
- Volunteering with our health initiatives
- Assisting one-time sport, fundraising, and awareness events
- Helping start SOBC programs in a new community
- Changing attitudes through awareness initiatives
How do I get involved?
Find your local program's details and contact info on our Communities pages, or click the form below to express your interest!