Special Olympics would not exist today – and could not have been created – without the time, energy, commitment, and enthusiasm of people just like you, thousands of individuals who choose to take a little time from busy schedules to make the world a better place. More than 3,900 Special Olympics BC volunteers and coaches across the province make our programs possible and make a difference.
Who can volunteer?
You don’t need a sport background to volunteer with SOBC. All you need is enthusiasm for helping empower people with intellectual disabilities through sport.
Why volunteer with Special Olympics BC?
There are many reasons to get involved, and many benefits, including:
- Building friendships and networking connections
- Developing new skills for personal and professional development
- Gaining volunteer hours for school programs
- Getting involved with your community
- Sharing your love of sport
- And, most of all, experiencing the joy of working with our athletes!
What volunteer opportunities are available?
Whether you can give a few hours at an event or want to get involved weekly, we have a position for you. You can become a coach, assistant coach, or program volunteer, join a Local Committee, and/or volunteer at an event.
How do I get involved?
Find your local program's details and contact info on our Communities pages.
Are you a new volunteer who has already registered with your local program?
This interactive online orientation course will offer a thorough and interesting introduction to the world of Special Olympics, enhancing your ability to coach and support the SOBC athletes in your community and help them enrich their lives through sport.
- Click on create a new account
- Fill in the form and submit
- Wait for confirmation email, click on link
- Then you can enter site and find the volunteer training
- Click on British Columbia
- Click on Special Olympics BC volunteer orientation
- When you get to the first page of orientation, click on Part One Introduction and Overview, and then follow the modules