We want to honour people from across the country who respect and embrace all abilities every day of the year!
A Champion of Inclusion can be:
• From sports (an athlete, coach, volunteer)
• From the workplace (a boss, or co-worker)
• From school (a teacher, volunteer, student, Principal)
• From Health (a doctor, nurse, caregiver)
• From the Government
• From your community (a friend, neighbour, family member, activist, supporter)
Our first Champion of Inclusion is Allison Lamond!
Allison currently coaches with the Special Olympics CBS Brightstars. Allison was nominated by a co-worker who chose Allison as a Champion of Inclusion because she frequently goes above and beyond to not only include, but also to advocate for better inclusion. Allison is a coach, co-worker, doctor and friend. She has been an active member of Special Olympics through her involvement in coaching, fundraising and events. She has a passion for coaching and offers her time and abilities to support the athletes in Special Olympics. When she talks to each athlete – it is clear that she cares deeply and is so incredibly proud of what they accomplish through the program. Similarly, Allison cares for sick children in the hospital as a pediatric resident. She has been known to bring joy to both patients and co-workers through her many skills. For instance, to ensure everyone feels included and celebrated on their birthday she bakes delicious specialized cakes for people. Allison works to ensure everyone is included, regardless of ability, illness, race, ethnicity, gender, etc.
For Global Week of Inclusion July 20 to 26, join us, as we demand a more inclusive world, because an inclusive world is a stronger, better world for everyone. Now, more than ever, we need to come together for inclusion. We are better together.
#ChooseToInclude, win a TimCard!
Join our Global Week of Inclusion Photo Challenge to be entered into a draw for a $50 - $100 TimCard. To enter, follow these three simple steps:
1. Take a photo of yourself (on your own, or with friends/family, if safe to do so) holding a sign that reads “I #ChooseToInclude”
2. Post the photo (make sure the sign, message and your face are visible) to social media with #ChooseToInclude & @SpecialOCanada
3. Tag one friend encouraging them to #ChooseToInclude with you. Winners will be announced the week of July 27, 2020.