2019 Special Olympics Newfoundland and Labrador Winter Games Coordinator
The 2019 Special Olympics Newfoundland & Labrador Winter Games are a multi-sport provincial event for athletes with an intellectual disability. The Games will take place in Grand Falls-Windsor over 2 weekends from February 22nd -24th and March 1st-3rd, 2019. The Games will and include over 500 athletes, coaches and volunteers from across Newfoundland & Labrador. These Games are the qualifying event for athletes to become members of Team Newfoundland and Labrador attending the 2020 Special Olympics Canada Winter Games in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
The Games Coordinator will work closely with the 2019 Games Organizing Committee (GOC), Program Director and Sports Coordinator to plan and deliver the 2019 Games.
The Games Coordinator is a short term contract starting in November 2018 and finishing in March 2019
- Develop a Games planning calendar to include all major planning milestones and activities
- Facilitate, in all ways possible, the success of the Games Organizing Committee
- Serve as an ex-officio member on all Games Subcommittees
- Develop and Coordinate a volunteer database
- Coordinate and assist with volunteer recruitment, orientation and training for the Winter Games
- Assist with the training of officials to fulfill their duties at Provincial Games
- Respond to phone, email and in person enquiries – providing general information and referring enquiries to appropriate sources.
- Provide support to any committees by typing and distributing minutes, preparing agenda packages, arranging meeting dates/times/rooms, and contacting participants. Attend meetings, as required, to record minutes.
Education AND/OR Experience
- Post-Secondary Education in the field of Sport, Recreation or Volunteer management or equivalent work experience/education.
- Working knowledge of MS Office programs, including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook, Publisher and Internet applications.
- Self starter with the ability to work independently while managing multiple projects and tasks.
- Must work well in a team setting
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Must be available to travel throughout the province when needed.
- Candidates must have access to their own vehicle.
- Experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities.
- Must have a criminal records check, and a vulnerable sector screening.
Salary for this position is $16.00 per hour @ 30 hours per week. Start date November 26 2018, End date March 8, 2019.
Please forward your cover letter and resume by Nov 22nd, 2018 via email or apply through Facebook to Trish Williams Executive Director Special Olympics Newfoundland and Labrador,
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.