While Special Olympics BC continues our return to in-person programs and events, we are still committed to creating virtual coach education opportunities to support our amazing community. And coaches can always access the SOBC website resources:
In fall 2021, Special Olympics BC revamped our functional testing tools to be easier for all coaches and athletes to use. Functional testing helps track and motivate sport skill improvements and foundational fitness.
- Watch the Coach Development Webinar on functional testing to learn about the program and its changes
- Find functional testing resources
NCCP Special Olympics Competition Sport Workshop
In fall 2021, SOBC began offering the NCCP Special Olympics Competition Sport Workshop virtually as well as in person, to ensure that coaches around the province can complete this crucial training without the barriers associated with traveling.
All SOBC coaches (except for Active Start and FUNdamentals) are required to complete this certification within their first year of coaching Special Olympics athletes. The workshop helps equip coaches to empower athletes with intellectual disabilities. It covers various associated disabilities, basic delivery of sport skills, sport-specific and competition-based fitness, competition, and safety.
Virtual and in-person NCCP Special Olympics workshops will be offered this season throughout the province.
Upcoming virtual courses:
- Weekend option: Jan 21-23 (Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday mornings); or
- Weekday option: Jan 19, 20, and 27 (Wednesday, Thursday, Thursday evenings, 6 to 9:30 p.m. PT)
Coach Development Webinars
These sport-specific webinars are for coaches only, and are open to all Special Olympics BC coaches. They are additions to our annual calendar of in-person Coach Development Workshops.
In the 2021-22 season, SOBC will host both in-person Coach Development Workshops and virtual Coach Development Webinars. To see all upcoming coach development events, click into the SOBC event calendar and use the "Filter by Type" Coach Education selection.
All coaches can enjoy the below recordings anytime!
- Alpine Skiing - Webinar #1 | Webinar #2 new March 2021
- Athletics - Webinar #1 | Webinar #2 | Webinar #3
- Basketball - Webinar #1 - new Dec 2020
- Bocce June 18 | Webinar #2 - new March 2021
- Competition Initiatives during Return to Sport - Judged Sports - new Dec 2020
- Competition Initiatives during Return to Sport - Timed Sports - new Dec 2020
- Cross Country Skiing - Webinar #1 - new Dec 2020
- Curling - Webinar #1 | Webinar #2 - new Jan 2021
- Floor Hockey - Webinar #1 - new Dec 2020
- Golf - Webinar #1 | Webinar # 2 | Webinar # 3 | Webinar # 4
- Powerlifting - Webinar #1 | Webinar #2
- Rhythmic Gymnastics - Webinar #1 - new Dec 2020
- Snowshoeing - Webinar #1 - new Dec 2020
- Swimming - Webinar #1 | Michael Phelps im Program - June 24 | Webinar #2 | Webinar #3 | Webinar #4 - new March 2021
Basic Sport Skills
Through his work with Special Olympics BC and the Coach Development Workshops, sport performance expert Jacques Thibault has created a basic sport skills package for every SOBC sport. These packages outline the basic skills that each athlete should be able to do as a foundation for their sport. The packages are valuable for coaches because they contain tips for coaching skill progression, assessment checklists, and lesson planning tools.
These tools can be used by both coaches and athletes to help with at-home sport-specific skill training.
Please click here to find the Basic Skill Acquisition packages for all 18 SOBC sports, plus videos for some sports (more coming soon!).
These packages identify the fundamental skills that an athlete should have to participate with confidence and ability in their chosen sport. By focusing on having great basic sport skills, any athlete in our program can achieve success as they will work at their own pace to gain skills and increase their physical literacy. With mastery of basic skills, athletes achieve:
- the ability to stay involved in sports for the rest of their lives,
- the capacity to increase their level of competition,
- a heightened standard for performance in B.C., and
- the confidence and competence to participate in recreational and sport opportunities outside Special Olympics.
SO International tools
Special Olympics International has compiled a few examples of resources to support coaches connecting with their athletes online. The tools will not all be suitable for every coach or every athlete, but they will all give you possibilities, ideas, and food for thought!
- Sport-specific coaching and training links and resources
- Conducting successful and safe virtual & online activities
- Your first virtual coaching session
- Three free tools for virtual coaching (Please note: This document discusses the free version of Zoom, but does not mention the fact that in free Zoom use, many calls are capped at 40 minutes.)
Required for Special Olympics BC
Among the other courses that can be completed online are:
- Special Olympics Canada Volunteer Orientation – free and can be completed anytime – please click here
- NCCP Making Ethical Decisions (MED) course – please visit viaSport British Columbia’s events calendar to find available courses, and please contact SOBC's Lois McNary (details below) to discuss fee options.
The National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) and Special Olympics Canada (SOC) have online modules designed to enhance coaches’ skills and abilities. These modules are accessible through your online NCCP account in the eLearning section.
If you don’t know your NCCP number or account information, please contact SOBC’s Helen Cheung (details below) before proceeding. She can create or resend your account information.
Directions to the NCCP Multi-Sport and/or SOC Online Modules:
- Go to The Locker’s login page.
- Log in using your NCCP number, email, and password. (If you need assistance, please contact Lois McNary before creating anything new.)
- Once logged in and on your home screen, click the ELEARNING option in the navigation bar.
- This will take you directly to the NCCP Multi-Sport Online Modules.
- To access the SOC online modules, please click the box for “Multi-Sport” – a drop-down menu will open, where you can select “Special Olympics.”
Many of these Online Modules are FREE!
A number of the NCCP Multi-Sport Modules are free:
- Developing Athletic Abilities pre-workshop session
- Making Head Way – concussion awareness and guidelines for concussion in sport
- NCCP Emergency Action Plan
- Safe Sport Training (Note: Please select Sport then Special Olympics – do not select Multi-Sport)
All four of the SOC Online Modules are free:
- Coaching Athletes with Down Syndrome
- Diversity and Inclusion in Action
- Exercise-Induced Asthma Training
- Supporting Individuals with Autism in Recreation Settings
additional sources for opportunities
- viaSport British Columbia
- Coaching Association of Canada
- Provincial Sport Organizations – please review the SOBC Coaching Courses Pathway for SOBC-specific details
Please do not hesitate to contact SOBC Vice President, Sport, Lois McNary at 604-616-1341 or Lmcnary@specialolympics.bc.ca.