Special Olympics BC empowers individuals with intellectual disabilities to enrich their lives through the power and joy of sport, and to create inclusive communities throughout British Columbia by opening hearts and minds to the talents of individuals with intellectual disabilities. Through transformative programming in sports, health, education, and community building, Special Olympics is tackling the inactivity, stigma, isolation, and injustice that people with intellectual disabilities face. Our work goes far beyond sports events, driving social change that enables full participation for people with ID. Join our team to make a difference!
Now hiring: Communications Coordinator and Fund Development Coordinator
Special Olympics BC is seeking a passionate and detail-oriented Communications Coordinator who wants to use their storytelling skills to make a difference. Special Olympics BC is dedicated to empowering individuals with intellectual disabilities to enrich their lives through the power and joy of sport, and to creating inclusive communities throughout British Columbia.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the successful Communications Coordinator candidate will help open hearts and minds to the abilities of individuals with intellectual disabilities and create social change by providing key support for Special Olympics BC's communications channels. The role will include writing, content creation, design, and analytics for the SOBC website, social media, monthly e-newsletter, annual print newsletter, and additional marketing material. Creating content about our inspiring athletes, dedicated coaches and volunteers, and empowering sport programs will be a significant part of this role, so a passion for sport will be an asset.
- Writing articles and profiles for the website, newsletters, and internal and external communications.
- Creating content for SOBC's social media accounts and providing support for analytics and researching development opportunities.
- Designing marketing material using existing SOBC guidelines and templates.
- Assisting with maintaining and reviewing the performance of the SOBC website.
- Maintaining databases of key stories, photos, and SOBC milestones.
- Supporting the execution of SOBC sport, fundraising, and awareness events.
- Assisting with other duties and functions as determined by the VP Fund Development and Communications and the Communications Manager.
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- A degree in communications and/or journalism, or related work experience in a non-profit and/or in a communications role.
- A strong and detail-oriented work ethic.
- Writing experience.
- Solid working knowledge of social media platforms and principles.
- The ability to manage competing priorities and multiple stakeholder relationships and expectations.
- The ability to work nights and weekends as required.
- A valid driver's license.
- Optional additional assets: working knowledge of Adobe InDesign; photography skills; familiarity with Drupal CMS.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their resume, cover letter, writing sample, and salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Fund Development Coordinator
Special Olympics BC has an immediate opening for an enthusiastic and detail-oriented Fund Development Coordinator. Reporting to the Fund Development Manager, the successful candidate will provide key support for Special Olympics BC’s Fund Development department.
- Research and development of grant applications, and coordinating reporting and recognition requirements.
- Maintaining donor database.
- Coordinating national fundraising campaigns.
- Providing administrative support to the fundraising team, and our primary funding partners.
- Supporting fundraising events in areas such as live and silent auction solicitation, and recruiting and scheduling volunteers and athletes for fundraising events.
- Developing and making presentations to service clubs and community groups to recruit volunteers, participants, and sponsors.
- Providing fundraising support to community programs.
- Assisting in securing, strengthening, and growing broad financial support in all areas of giving.
- Assisting with other duties and functions as determined by the VP Fund Development and Communications and the Fund Development Manager.
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Excellent writing abilities, including ability to draft compelling and persuasive correspondence to donors and prospects.
- Donor database management system experience an asset.
- Experience in fundraising, conducting special events, and managing volunteers an asset.
- Proficiency with MS Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Positive and keen attitude towards working with individuals who have intellectual disabilities.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their resume, cover letter, and salary expectation to email@example.com
Unfortunately, due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please click here to read more about the life-changing volunteer opportunities available with SOBC programs around the province.