#SOBCWinterWarrior Challenge 2020
Special Olympics BC wants to help everyone stay active, healthy, moving – and having fun! Try out our monthly calendars of at-home workouts and wellness activities for every day!
Past calendars and Facebook Live recordings
Info on COVID-19 and staying healthy at home
Special Olympics at-home workouts
Matthew Hender's No Pain, No Gain
Need a new workout routine? Special Olympics BC – Quesnel athlete and Health Messenger Matthew Hender has you covered with his “No Pain, No Gain” circuit!
Athletes want to perform their best at every competition. You can do this by being fit. The Special Olympics Fit 5 program is a plan for physical activity, nutrition, and hydration. It can improve your health and fitness to make you the best athlete you can be. The fitness cards and videos offer exercises to challenge all abilities. These exercises can be done at practice, at the gym, or even at home!
Special Olympics School of Strength
Special Olympics athletes and WWE Superstar Becky Lynch teamed up to launch an awesome series of at-home training videos! Work out with these videos five times a week to help you stay fit and reach your athletic goals.
Get moving with Shayla McLean
Work out with Special Olympics BC – Kelowna coach Shayla McLean, who delivered at-home Club Fit sessions on Facebook three times a week through spring and summer 2020!
1 per cent better every day with Steve Topham
Improve your athletic performance and daily lives by completing at-home workouts with Special Olympics Team Canada strength and conditioning coach Steve Topham!
Yoga and Mindfulness with Shelbi Snodgrass
Yoga is an important part of any athlete’s routine. So our very special guest Shelbi Snodgrass created a series of calm, stretchy, and welcoming Yoga and Mindfulness sessions specifically for the Special Olympics BC community!
More physical training tools
- Healthy Holiday Challenge 2019 - 30 days of fun daily health challenges!
- Athlete Training Diary
- Training Diary: Extra Sheets
- At-Home Fitness Guide
- Stretching Guide (new August 2017)
- Dryland Training Tools
- SOBC Monthly Athlete Training Tips
Mental training tools
- My Mental Health Workbook (new October 2020)
- SOBC daily at-home routine template (new April 2020)
- Special Olympics International Strong Minds Activity Guide (new June 2020)
- SOBC coping strategies during COVID-19 by Mental Performance Consultant Keltie Sommer (new May 2020)
- SOBC Strong Minds tips by B.C. Clinical Director Sarah Kiengersky (new April 2020)
- SOI Take 5 for Strong Minds Challenge - practicing Strong Minds stress-reducing techniques (using a stress ball, thinking positive thoughts, deep breathing, stretching)
- SOBC Mental Training Guide
- SOI Strong Minds tips for stress
Nutrition & wellness tools
- One-stop Health and Wellness Manual compiled by SOBC (2017)
- Special Olympics Canada Athlete Nutrition Guide (online tool relaunched Jan 2018 with material for athletes of all ages)
- Facebook Live sessions led by Sobeys Dietitians (2020)
- Special Olympics BC & Action Schools! BC Healthy Living booklet (2014)
- Nutrition and grocery shopping tips prepared specifically for SOBC athletes (2014)
- Nutrition for Special Olympics athletes - prepared for SOBC coaches by Madelaine Parent (2016)
- SOBC Nutrition Guide (2010)
- Special Olympics TRAIN at Home Nutrition Guide
Watch the Healthy Athletes nutrition video created by Special Olympics BC athletes and Health Messengers Jesse and Zack Thibeault:
Healthy Athletes program info
- What is Healthy Athletes
- Fit Feet
- Health Promotion
- Healthy Hearing
- Opening Eyes
- Special Smiles
- Strong Minds
- Please click here for a list of additional online resources to help athletes