Position: Communications Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Fund Development & Communications
Special Olympics Alberta is committed to enriching the lives of Albertans with intellectual disabilities through sport. People with intellectual disabilities, of all ages and abilities, are given the opportunity to realize their full athletic potential through appropriate training, access to coaching and competitions, and to develop life skills, a healthy body, and self-esteem. It is a place where lifelong friends are made, and, for many athletes, provides the only opportunity to compete and travel on a provincial, national, or even international level.
We are currently seeking a Communications Coordinator to join our ranks for the purposes of maintaining and growing our communication networks, social media, and website. The key to our organization is increasing the awareness of what we and our athletes can do.
PRIMARY AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Website content management: ensuring that images, articles, news, etc. are up to date
- Writing engaging articles for the website, electronic newsletter, and communications pieces
- Utilize social media (Facebook, Twitter) channels for SOA and reach out to current followers plus increase the number of followers and stakeholders
- Digital media preparation for the creation and stock of collateral, including apparel, banners, and annual reports
- Work on direct mail and other mass public awareness and fundraising campaigns
- Media relations and sending press releases in a timely manner
- Give media relations support to Games Organizing Committees for Provincial Games
- Ensure digital communications projects are within budget
- Add new media (photographs and video) from events
- Maintain an organized photo and video library
- Assist with volunteer recruitment initiatives
- Assist with annual awards program
- Provide a physical presence and acting as an onsite ambassador at Special Olympics events
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in digital media software, particularly Adobe Creative Suite (5 and later) preferred
- Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign experience required, Adobe Premiere Pro experience would be an asset
- Prior experience in communications, website design and content management, and social media
- Excellent written communication skills: effectively adapt writing ability for different communications vehicles using tones and style
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills and the ability to work individually and in a team environment
- Excellent computer, technology and photography skills
- Valid Alberta Class 5 (or equivalent) and the willingness to occasionally work outside normal hours
- Experience working with individuals with a disability an asset.
If you have a passion for sport, working with individuals with an intellectual disability, and are committed to excellence, please send your resume and cover letter, with salary expectations, by Monday, August 22 at 4:00pm to firstname.lastname@example.org. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; however only those invited to interview will be contacted.