Special Olympics Canada 2016 Winter Games – Day 1
Upcoming Events for March 2, 2016
- This will be the first day of competition.
- Athletes will compete in cross country skiing and snowshoeing at the Blow Me Down Cross Country Ski Club from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Downhill skiing action will take place at Marble Mountain from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Curlers will compete from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. at the Corner Brook Curling Club.
- Figure skaters will vie for medals in the Corner Brook Civic Centre Annex from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Floor hockey competition will take place at the Corner Brook Regional High School and the Civic Centre Annex from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- The Kinsman Arena, Corner Brook Civic Centre will host the speed skating competition from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Live sport streaming schedule has hockey from 10:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. and figure skating from 2:45 – 3:45 p.m. Click on www.rogerstv.com/cornerbrook to catch all the action!
Highlights from March 1, 2016
- Opening Ceremonies, which were broadcast live on Rogers TV Channel 9, as well as streamed live on their YouTube channel, provided an exciting kick-off for what promises to be a great Games. The Law Enforcement Torch Run© completed their provincial run with the lighting of the official torch which rested in an iceberg prop on stage. Athletes sporting their team colours paraded into the Games to the cheers of an excited crowd, which included Olympics Gold Medalists Jamie Salé and Catriona Le May Doan and former NHL great Craig Simpson. The athlete, mission and coach oaths were recited, and spectators were entertained by performances by Dance Studio West and The Navigators.