Special Olympics Canada 2016 Winter Games – Day 2
Upcoming Events for March 3, 2016
- This will be the second day of competition.
- Athletes will compete in cross country skiing and snowshoeing at the Blow Me Down Cross Country Ski Club from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Due to impending weather, all competition scheduled for Marble Mountain for Thursday, March 3 will be rescheduled for Friday, March 4.
- Curlers will compete from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. at the Corner Brook Curling Club.
- Figure skaters will vie for medals in the Corner Brook Civic Centre Annex from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Floor hockey competition will take place at the Corner Brook Regional High School and the Civic Centre Annex from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The Kinsman Arena, Corner Brook Civic Centre will host the speed skating competition from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Live sport streaming schedule has speed skating from 9 a.m. – 11:30 p.m. and alpine skiing from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Click on www.rogerstv.com/cornerbrook to catch all the action!
- Friends and Family will be feted at an invite-only reception at Corner Brook Intermediate School which will give them a taste, literally, of Western Newfoundland hospitality.
Highlights from March 2, 2016
- Speed skater Brandon Park (Team Newfoundland and Labrador’s only skater) was cheered on by his classmates. Friends from his school Templeton Collegiate in Meadows, NL were bussed to the Civic Centre to provide a cheering section for Brandon who won two silver and a bronze.
- Elle MacNearney won Team PEI’s first medal (bronze) with a personal best in the 5k in cross country skiing.
- Team New Brunswick’s Brendan Vriesendorp snatched a silver in the 500m race at the speed skating track, with his brother, and fellow Special Olympics athlete, Adam cheering him on.
- Mild winter weather caused the crew at the Blow Me Down snowshoeing track to struggle with an inadequate amount of snow. A call went out to local volunteers and Corner Brook citizens arrived with shovels spending Tuesday afternoon moving snow to ensure the athletes had a great track to race on.
- Marble Mountain saw dozens of skiers take advantage of the pristine conditions and put on a show of speed and precision.